HealthcareMCP is the provincial Medicare Plan for Newfoundland and Labrador. It is free for the following eligible residents:

  • Canadian Citizens
  • Landed Immigrants
  • Foreign Workers
  • International Students (as long as their program of study is at least 12 months)

In general, MCP covers the following types of medical services:

  • Visits to a doctor's office or hospital (in some cases, it might include home visits)
  • Operations and related treatment, including anesthesia
  • Treatments before and after operations
  • Maternity care
  • X-ray services
  • Some dental operations that have to be done in a hospital by a dentist or dental surgeon

All residents of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador must have an MCP card.

When you apply for your MCP card, you will need to show your documents from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Mcp CardYou can learn more about MCP and how to apply at

Most people in Newfoundland and Labrador have a family doctor that they see regularly. Once you choose a family doctor, they will keep your records on file and you can make appointments to see them as you require. Family doctors provide general care and may refer you to specialists or other health care professionals if needed. Some family doctors also provide a 'walk-in' clinic service, in which case you don't need to make an appointment in advance.

Your doctor may suggest that you take certain drugs. Some drugs you can buy from a drugstore, which are called 'over-the-counter' drugs. But some drugs require that you show a written prescription from a doctor before you can buy them, and these are called prescription drugs. You have to order these from the pharmacist at a drugstore.

You can buy private health insurance to help pay for things that are not covered under the MCP card program, such as over the counter and prescription drugs. These can become quite expensive if you need to take them regularly. Private health insurance providers can be found in the yellow pages of the telephone book.

In the case of a medical emergency, you should go to the nearest hospital emergency room. This is covered by the MCP program. If you are unable to get to the emergency room yourself, you can dial '911' for an ambulance to come and pick you up. This service is only for emergencies. The cost of the ambulance ride is not covered by MCP, and you will have to pay for that service after you are released from the hospital.

How to find a Family Doctor

  • Ask your friends, neighbors, or other people in your community
  • Talk to a counselor at the Association for New Canadians
  • Look in the Yellow Pages of the telephone book under "Physicians and Surgeons"
  • Call Health and Community Services (709-729-4984). This is a province-wide automated service which lists doctors taking new patients.

Always bring your MCP card with you when you visit any healthcare provider. Without it you will have to pay for the services.

Healthy Newfoundland and Labrador

This website lists all of the hospitals throughout the province and is a gateway to health information resources, community health organizations and support groups in the province, and links to national organizations where there is no local division. There is also information about health professionals, hospitals ,nursing homes, and personal care homes.

The lists sources of health information in Newfoundland and Labrador. The listings are sorted by region, and include libraries, service organizations and advocacy groups.

There is another website designed specifically for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians about healthy living. You can find out more about what government is doing to support healthy living in the province and to see a list of some of the many partners who are involved in wellness. You can check out the section on Healthy Living where you will find information on what you should eatgetting activeliving smoke free and how not to get hurt. You can also learn about healthy living events happening in your local area.

Mental Health

Immigration can be a stressful process as you begin the adjustment to a new place, environment and way of life. This is understandable. There are people and places that can help you if you are finding it hard to cope with the adjustment.

Eastern Health - Mental Health Crisis Centre and Crisis Line 
Promotes the maintenance of good mental health by supporting individuals through mental health crises, and to provide a 24-hour, 7-day/ week community-based mental health crisis intervention service.

Phone: (709) 737-4668 (Crisis Line); 1-888-737-4668 ( Crisis Line) 
Fax: (709) 737-4671 
Office: The office is open to the public 24 hours, 7 days a week in St. John's at 47 St. Clare Avenue

Canadian Mental Health Association - Newfoundland and Labrador Division

The Newfoundland and Labrador Division of the Canadian Mental Health Association is a voluntary, non-profit charitable organization established to promote a better understanding of mental health and mental illness in the province. The office is headquartered in St. John's and has regional contacts throughout the province as listed below.

St. John's 
E-Mail : 
Office: 81 Kenmount Rd., St. John's, NL open to the public: 8:30 - 4:30 M-F Wheelchair accessible
Phone: (709) 753-8550

Central Region 
Office: 34 Dunn Place, Unit B, Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
Phone: (709) 489-4719

Eastern Region 
Office: Holyrood, NL,
Phone: (709) 229-0524; 1-877-229-0482

Grenfell-Labrador South Region 
Office: Port Hope Simpson, NL
Phone: (709) 960-0250

Labrador West / Lab City Region 
Office: 841 Daigle Cres., Labrador City, NL, 
Phone: (709) 944-5620

Western Region 
Office: 124 Wheeler's Rd., Corner Brook, NL
Phone: (709) 632-2581

Other Health Resources

Support for persons with disabilities

The Independent Living Resource Centre is located in St. John's and provides information, resources, networking, skill development seminars, individual advocacy and peer support programs for persons with disabilities, their families, friends and support networks.

Phone: (709) 722-4031 (Voice); (709) 722-7998 (TTY); 1-800-722-4031 (Toll Free) 
Fax: (709) 722-0147 
Office: Office is open to the public: 4 Escasoni Place in St. John's 8:30 - 4:30 M-F Wheelchair accessible

Blue Cross Insurance

To obtain a quote for insurance for services not covered by MCP please click the following link:

Health Help Line

If you need advice on a medical issue or concern, call the Newfoundland and Labrador Health line at 1-888-709-2929. A Registered Nurse will help assess the situation and help decide what should be done. The nurses speak English and French.

Children's Dental Health Care

The Newfoundland and Labrador Dental Health Plan comprises a children's dental component and a social assistance component.

Janeway Pediatric Advice Line

The Janeway is a hospital dedicated entirely to pediatric health care. Please call the following numbers if you have any questions or concerns about your child's health:

Pediatric Telephone Advice Line 722-1126 or 1-866-722-1126